23 January 2007

Oscars 2006/7

I have here before me the Oscar nominations for 2006...although this is 2007. That always leaves me a little bit confused. Which year's Oscars are these?

For those of you that know me, I never miss the Oscars. No, I don't think they represent the selection of the finest films and performances from around the world. I don't really care what people are wearing, and to be honest, who wins is largely unimportant.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Even before I wanted to make movies, I always watched the Oscars. I can't rememeber a year that I haven't, including when I lived in England, and they came on live at 2am. The only time I had to work on Oscar night, I made the bar I worked in have an Oscar party so I could watch..

By the way, if you want to see the list of the nominees, the link to the printer friendly version is this:

http://www.oscars.com/nominees/?pn=printer

Any thoughts on the nominees?

Little Miss Cliche picked up a couple of nods,one for Alan Arkin, and one for the litle girl, who was probably the only actor in the movie that I don't bear a grudge against. Not that she has a chance in winning. Jennifer Hudson is nominated in this catagory for Dreamgirls, and since they were chattering about her getting this nomination months before the movie was even released, I think that she's got a pretty strong lead, dontcha?

They ought to just name an award the Meryl Streep award, and let her be the sole nominee in it every year. This makes 13 nominations for her. I mean, come on. No disrespect to Ms. Streep, who we all know is a great talent, but do they have to nominate her for every movie that she does? Even if she's always great? Let someone else have the slot.

Holy shit, I noticed that Little Miss Sunshine is up for best film (AND BEST SCREENPLAY?????). Are they serious? Coming next year, I'm just going to poop on some celluloid, but give it a great publicist, and we'll see what happens.

Mel Gibson's Apocolypto looks like it was nominated for Makeup and Sound Editing. That's what you get for being a dick, Mel.

Anyway, I'm either going to hold an Oscar party, or go to one. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments: