09 September 2007

The Idea of Progress Adopts a Character Actor: Zooey Deschanel


I never claimed to be cutting edge, or ahead of the times. I generally find out about trends not only after they've ended, but after they've been ironically revived and then quashed once again.

I had read about different blogs adopting a character actor a while ago, and wanted to adopt one of my own, but have been unable to come up with just the right one. But today I figured it out. After considering and abandoning Ajay Naidu, Natasha Lyonne, and Danny Trejo, I've decided to formally adopt Zooey Deshanel as the Official Character Actor of The Idea Of Progress.

Ms. Deshanel was born on January 17th, 1980 in Los Angeles. Her father is an amazing cinematographer, Caleb Deshanel, who shot movies like The Black Stallion, The Natural, and The Passion of the Christ. Her mother Mary Jo is an actress that starred in Twin Peaks, and her sister Emily is the star of the television program 'Bones.'

Ms. Deshanel first came to my attention in her very first film, Lawrence Kasdan's charming Mumford, co-starring Loren Dean, Hope Davis, and a pre-Alvin and the Chipmunks Jason Lee. Zooey (who is named after Zooey Glass, a character in Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger, one of my faorite books) stole the screen every time she appeared as one of Dr. Mumford's patients. I next saw her in Almost Famous, Big Trouble and her amazing performance in David Gordon Greene's All the Real Girls.

She is a Journey fan, did all of her own singing in Elf, and attended Northwestern University.




I'd like to present to you the Official Character Actor of the Idea of Progress: Zooey Deschanel.

11 comments:

McGone said...

I am shaking with rage. I didn't realize this was an actual thing with us bloggers. I remember Grant Miller making reference to it in the past, but Grant is 99% bullshit (he would admit to as much).

I have to ponder which character actor is worthy of The IHoB. Zooey? Man, she would have been a good one. How can you not adore Zooey? The fact that her dad is Caleb always made her that much cooler in my book.

You have raised the bar, my friend. Well played.

The Idea Of Progress said...

McGone, it's never too late to adopt your own character actor. Actually, it was probably too late for me to do it, so I don't see why you can't.

Splotchy said...

Congratulations!

As far as I know, it's never too late to adopt.

I haven't seen Mumford, but I had somewhat of a crush on her in Almost Famous (something about dark hair and blue eyes).

I'll add you to the adoption roster. Thanks for letting me know!

Cipher Theory said...

Zooey's a great pick. I'm much happier with Al Leong, though.

paperback reader said...

Well played. Franny and Zoey is alternatively brilliant and unnecessarily obtuse, but I love me some All the Real Girls.

yll said...

Did you see her recently on Weeds? Cutie. Good pick.

I don't know who I'd adopt, but I def would want Salma Hayek to adopt me. I kinda have a girl-crush on her.

Wait... ewww. That'd be gross, right? If I had a crush on someone who adopted me, that's like incest. ewww. Please forget I wrote any of this.

Moderator said...

A Journey fan? She can't be all bad then.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas will be very upset about your choice, however. I think he thought he had dibs.

The Idea Of Progress said...

I just checked out his blog. I see obsession, but my adoption post was made a day before he posted a big picture of her.

I win?

Help?

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Funny, I found your blog by following Zooey pics! Glad you've seen mine -- and, although I was initially disappointed, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to adopt her, as that would have made my obsession a little weird (in the Woody Allen sense). After all, you shouldn't lust after someone you adopted, right? So, please treat Zooey well, and put in a good word for me from time to time. Someday, my dreams may come true...

Anonymous said...

She was very cool in _Failure to Launch_. Plus, any movie that features Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw as a couple, plus Matthew McConaghey's abs :) can't be all bad.

Leah said...

when i had dark hair i was told that i looked like her. what a compliment. i love her. she is on my list. and dan's.