07 May 2007

Today's Oddness.

This is more of an excuse to write than anything else, but I'd like to show off all of the things I've been reading about or seeing for the last week.

'kay.

Firstly, Spider-man 3 (technically there's a hyphen in there, and always has been, which I find charming and quaint).

Not the greatest movie in the world, but certainly one of the most expensive (estimates put it in the $250-300 million mark). I'm not going to sit here and rehas the movie for you, but here's my thoughts on it. FOr a movie that cost a quarter of a BILLION dollars, it's remarkably consistant with a single man's (Sam Raimi) perspective. It's got long periods of non-sequiter events, dance numbers, musical numbers, melodrama, men crying (the most men I've seen crying in a movie since Lord of the Rings)...I mean, it's like they let Raimi do whatever the hell he wanted, and I for one would rather see extended periods of silly noodling than nonstop explosions. I admire that a movie as sloppy and wacky as this was able to be released.

And I'd like to point out that when good Spider-man becomes bad Spider-man, he gets emo hair. It made me laugh. Oh, and Bruce Campbell has a great scene, too.

---
Mike Gravel



Now here's a character. I just read an article in Salon about this guy, who's running for president. I don't know how I've never heard of the guy, and I don't think that I'll be giving him my vote, but I think I'll be paying attention to him. Salon refers to him as Grandpa Simpson running for President, which made me laugh. Gravel was senator from Alaska for a number of years, a really, really liberal iconoclast, who is pro-gay, pro-choice, anti-war, and oddly supportive of putting that fucking pipeline though Alaska (seems that that's the kind of thing you have to support if you want to be a politician in Alaska). I just want him in the debates to see him mix things up a bit, like when he asked Obama who he'd like to nuke.


Here's Gravel at the debates:



---

No comments: