28 August 2007

Travel and a Bunny

I left work at 7pm today. This is not normal. I'm usually out around 5:30 or so, but I got caught up in conversation with my boss, and by the time I left, it was dark. I made a pit stop at Trader Joe's, and then got on the Blue Line to come home. After waiting for twenty minutes, the train shows up. We get on, the train moves perhaps 100 feet, and stops. The conductor informs us that due to construction on the tracks, service was going to be on one track only, and we were going to have to sit for five minutes while the other train passed us, as to allow us to continue on our way without any grisly accidents.

Two problems with this.

First, the CTA has told everyone that construction was happening on the weekends. They actually closed the Blue Line during the weekend of the Pitchfork Music Festival, and since all of the hipsters live off of the Blue Line, general pandemonium/apathy ensued. This is Tuesday night, which in case you're wondering is not the weekend.

Second, we sat for thirty minutes. Riders were eying each other in case we had to result to cannibalism. Good thing I'm a skinny vegetarian, we make for stringy eating.

I didn't get home until nine o'clock.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I didn't have a post for today, and I didn't want anybody to start hating. So I bring you a picture of a bunny, as is the tradition here at The Idea Of Progress, and the realization that this non-post has become, in fact, a post.

8 comments:

edP said...

What manner of bunny is this.
'Tis no normal bunny but some sort of Hellbunny...Netherbunny, Beezlebunny

I could go on but really, what's the point?

Cool-ass non-post post.

katarose said...

vegetarians are delicious! why do you think people (though not you nor I) eat cows?

katrocket said...

As an occasional visitor to your magnificent city of Chicago, I have experienced FAR TOO MANY of these CTA "waiting periods" that you describe. There were never any conductor announcements about these delays, however, I found them frequent and lengthy. In fact, one delay brought me very close to missing my flight back to Toronto.

Overall, I found the CTA was clean and fairly easy to navigate, and full of portly individuals that would provide some pretty good eatin'. But as an impatient tourist (with meaty thighs and succulent breasts), I eventually opted for a lot of expensive taxi rides to get around.

But hey, I do that here at home a lot, too. Savages everywhere!

McGone said...

On the plus side, the train and it's oppressive humidity would somewhat cook your fellow passengers if it did in fact come down to cannibalism.

Moderator said...

Thank you. Thank you very much.

paperback reader said...

How meta.

Ms. Laaw-yuhr said...

This bunny scares me.

Anonymous said...

Hey that's my photo...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbaird/74444067/